Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Groundhog Day(s)












25 August

It’s been a while since I’ve written, mainly because I’m too knackered at night. This hasn’t changed.

Life here is pretty cool, though I am starting to feel more worn out each day. This was the 19th consecutive day of 12 hours/day. There are in theory 6 more workable days before we have to return. We most likely have 3 more days guaranteed, then who knows. Not terribly worried at this point, since 22 days of this work means that about €2200, and that’s about my quota for me to be happy with this ‘Norwegian business venture’.





















But no matter - I’m happy to have come here, to have met the people I’ve met, to see what I have seen, and all the rest of it. Taking a boat to work each day this week. Getting tanked in the hot tub last Sunday night with
the lads and Fernando. San Fernando as he is called now. What a good guy. He said something that really got me thinking about the North American mentality when he spoke of his parents’ (from Uruguay) opinion of Americans: “People think that if you don’t speak English you are also stupid.” I think there is some truth to that - that it often doesn’t occur to people in North America that although communication with immigrants can be difficult, in their home countries they may in fact be bloody geniuses. But in North America, they’re taxi drivers.

Anyway, I could write about so much, but my hands kill me from all the working. They have never improved since the cobblestones.

For the other guys as well.












26 August

12 hours/day, 7 days/week is great in some ways, because it doesn’t allow the thinker to obsess much over anything. A well-needed holiday from my own mind is what this trip is. The physical work is incredibly good for me too. I think I’m looking slightly thinner, though the ‘beer insulation layer’ still exists... I will have to do more to rid myself of that methinks... One day I will fully pay back my sins from Scotland.

There’s a chance I can take away an old desktop PC from Krokholmen, hopefully. And hopefully for free! Gotta check the specs, etc but that would be cool to get a free comp.






Whatever. Don’t need to record the inane details of life right now. Actually, I love that I don’t really have anything deep to think about right now. Life is so simple now in Norway. The main questions I ask myself on a daily basis are “When do I wake up? When do I eat? How much longer do we work? When do I shit? When do I sleep? When do I wake up?”

The rest is dirty jokes and anecdotes.

No comments: