Friday, September 15, 2006

A change of scenery!

[Continued from Post: Cobble this!]

Since the cottage work is done, we are driving to the harbour where we got picked up a week earlier so to work on the Krokoholmen island to do housepainting.



















[Next bit added in Berlin]

On the topic of Krokholmen, this place has a website with photos. www.krokholmen.no Basically, the place belonged to a German company, who would host getaways, but then they decided to get rid of it, at which point the 5 owners we know took it over, with the intent of seeing if they can make a profit from it. As great as the place is, it occurred to us as we were there that this could prove difficult, as it’s only open 6-7 months a year, and during their busiest month this year, they didn’t make that much of a profit. Furthermore, there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the grounds / facilities (we only put make-up on it: this place needs breast implants, a pedicure, and a face lift), not to mention it requiring a huge publicity boost. It can be a wonderful place, but if nobody knows about it what good is it? So we suggested to the owners that their first priority should be advertising. Hook up with the corporate division of travel agencies; hire a proper web designer/developer; same for a photographer; identify the niche market and work towards that. Per Jørgen has since sold his holdings, with statements to the effect of, "We would have to sell a lot of coffee to keep this place profitable."
----------

14 August

First day of work on Krokholmen island. Meant to be simple housepainting. Until I went up a ladder to tape up the windows and realized that on ladders, I’m scared fucking shitless of heights. I managed to tape up a few windows, but was extremely happy when that was done.
Then I went onto a different job, scraping paint from an old building. Fine.

After dinner, (which was incredible by the way) we decided to switch jobs, and that’s when I had to go back up the ladder to paint. I tried, but I freaked. I couldn’t do more than 1 trip up that ladder. I was so freaking scared. Adrenaline surging through me. Tense. I couldn’t rationalize it away because I didn’t feel safe up there. I could see the accident waiting to happen.

It’s funny however, that I have freely put my life in the hands of Dave Morrison and climbed a 700 ft rock, but can’t muster the courage to climb 3m without a harness... hehe




















Spooked




So I said I can’t do heights, and the guys were so cool about it. On this trip I feel the stress of being ‘stuck’, of having no privacy, etc and hence no space/time for any feelings of intensity to have a chance to die down. At times I feel like I’ve been such a pain in the ass to the guys I don’t know what to do. It’s perhaps all in my head (as it most often is) but there were times today where I wish I could just be back in Berlin. BUT, I need money, and I’m only saying this shit as a backlash to my fear. It’s embarrassing to have such a simple handicap.

Anyway, after a hot shower I feel a bit better. This is all a bit worse whilst being sick and with slow improvement.

But I can’t write any more now. Columbo is on TV and Patrick McGoohan is the special guest.

No comments: