10 August
I suppose I just lack patience and want quick solutions. Things from the other day are blowing over, and the team spirit is returning. We got alot done today cobbling the driveway, where by the end of the day we were all quite proud of ourselves. For a bunch of (we realize now) underpaid, inexperienced illegal immigrants, the results we achieved were really quite good.

Personally, on some areas of the job I feel I frequently knew what had to be done. In certain cases I was partially listened to, then overruled, and to me and others the results were substandard. Other areas I insisted certain things be done (though a major pain-in-the-ass) because it’s the difference between a good job and a great job for a little amount of time to do it. But my real strength was in leveling the surface to be cobbled.

I’m learning more about myself on this working holiday. For example, I work well alone, but I have many qualities that make a leader who accomplishes goals. BUT, unless you truly understand me and my nature, to know that I’m all bark and no bite, you won’t be able to tolerate my ‘tyrannical’ rule over a task. Because if I’m in charge of getting things done, then it all has to be my final word. Case Closed. (I always take suggestions and am reasonable, but comprimise for the sake of comprimise and not for correctness is not a card in my deck.)
Anyway, it’s nice to be out, working in the sun, trying to tan my never-before-tanned torso. It’s coming along slowly... I decided to not give a shit about my current ‘snake that swallowed a tennis ball’ physique. It’s Europe - people are less superficial. (This changes with every Starbucks that appears...)
Bedtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment