Thursday, February 14, 2008

Schi....fahren!

Well, I just got back from Bavaria, having gone on another ski trip. Photos to follow. I realize that I actually document very little of my life in photos. So many friends of mine take photos when they go places, you know, to remember those times. I always thought I could do those things without the photos, but I finally concede that I'm getting old and my memory doesn't hold every minute detail that it used to (that said, Ramsey Affifi, your number is still 278-4539, Brandon Brunetti 274-2434, and my highschool student number was 26701. None of these are passwords to anything by the way)

On the topic of getting old, wow, it's happening. Being in Berlin also plays a huge role here as well. There's something about this city - so many people look unhealthy and gray-skinned. Who knows, but I know that whereas in the past when after a night of drinking I'd wake up and look like hell, I look like hell every morning now, and I barely drink. Maybe I don't drink enough water. Whatever.

So anyhow, I'm actually writing this blog entry from my new laptop, which I can recommend to anyone. It's called the eeePC, and it's made by Asus, and it only costs €300 / $400. It's fantastic. and tiny. It's slightly bigger than a DVD case, and true that one requires childfingers (childfingers is not an english word I don't think, but rather "nach der deutschen Art aufgebaut", but anyway you understand) to operate, but you can get used to it fairly easily.

Back to the Bavarian ski adventure. We went skiing for 3 days, 2 of which in Bavaria, and one spent in Austria. Skiing is really incredible. The first two days were really perfect - perfect snow, perfect place for a beginner to ski, cuz the runs were really relaxing to ski down (relaxing in the context of skiing, I mean, we were still dead at the end of the day) and there weren't very many people there skiing. I realize that it's very important to not only have general confidence in life, but to have 'body confidence', meaning, you can trust your body to not screw up. With skiing, as soon as you think you're gonna wipe out, you will. Speed is quite a cool thing. It's actually quite ridculous when you think about the concept of skiing - strap some sticks to your legs and coast down a mountainside, but still, the feeling of just sliding along a hill while enjoying the view is really incredible. Drinking and skiing is even more ridiculous, and not really recommended, but nevertheless it is done. We would often have a beer toward the end of the day and then ski down the hill. Wow, you think you're fine until you notice yourself making silly mistakes and wiping out. Oh well, I never really had any bad wipeouts, except for the time I was speeding along at 80km/h and wiped out, hit my head hard on the snow, and woke up an hour later on a helicopter with a few blonde nurses kissing me back to consciousness. They kept saying "hier, put your head on zees pillows, it vill be good for you". I didn't understand the Tiroler german dialect, so I just let my instincts take over. It's such a natural instinct. The last 6 lines were complete bullshit, mom.  (although I'm sure it's quite easy to make an argument that I at some point in my life must have hit my head very hard on something)

We stayed a night in a cottage in the Austrian mountains. Mountains were redundant in that sentence since Austria is basically all mountains, and at that, incredibly beautiful. Most Autrians I spoke to said they feel very strange when they don't have mountains in their background, which after 3 years in vancouver I can fully understand.

That was another interesting aspect of discovering skiing. I don't think i would've disliked vancouver so much if I had actually had the money to discover and go skiing. I have even entertained the idea of living there again, just to be able to do that, then I have these old nightmares resurface, I puke, say "Duuude, am I really that STOKED?", then forget the whole thing.

I guess I'll just turn this entry into a general life update. I hid myself away for most of January so to study for exams and it sure paid off. My two hardest and most important courses - Computer Science and Math, I aced. I got the equivalent of 100%, or in German, 1,0. For those of you who don't know, Germans use commas instead of decimals, concerning numbers anyway, and decimals instead of commas. For example, I wish I had €1.000.000,00 then I would really do what I want to do in life. I'm a modest man, €1.000.000 would do.

So now I have 6 weeks free to well, work for half of it, then chill out for half of it. Might do a road trip through the old communist states. Thinking Poland, Czech, many Hungary. Pretty much where all the world's prettiest come from. So they say... One day I might wake up and not be shallow, but for now, while I still in some way have any attractive qualities about me, I want to go see places and meet people. Engage in semi-meaningless conversations, drink cheap beer, and take photos to say "been there, done that" as if in some way it will add value to my life. Well, I'm sure it will.

If you've got time, please send me a mail as I always love to hear from any faithful reader of this blog who I don't speak to regularly!

liebe Grüße aus Deutschland,
S

No comments: