Monday, June 16, 2008

Nerd Post

I bought an Asus eeePC back in January, and I've been pleased with it the entire time. Athough the interface (Operating System) wasn't the prettiest, it was a charming unit, did everything I needed it to do, and well, I got what I expected.

It has a Linux operating system, and Open Source operating system, meaning, everything that is made for it is completely free. The drawback is that "customer support" involves scouring through user forums for information that may or may not be relevant, and this process can be so annoying, you end up living with problems in your system, just cuz you can't be bothered to sort them out.

...then came Ubuntu 8.04: Hardy Heron. For a free operating system, these people have made a more or less centralized support website, with straightforward step-by-step "How To" guides, and link to other relevant documentation. For the first time in Linux I believe, there is finally a solution that will keep your swearing at the machine to a minimum.

On top of that, there is a group of people that got together and specifically tailored this for users of the eeePC, so that everything is set up to fit on this machine's tiny 7", 800x480 pixel screen.

So, after a bit of swearing at the machine yesterday (all day) because my wireless internet wouldn't work (arguably why I bought the mini-laptop - for use at Uni), it miraculously started working, and I am one happy nerd at the moment!

Had to write it somewhere. Ok, not the most interesting post, but the point is, we don't need to be slaves to Microsoft WinPoos anymore. This OS is almost as slick as a Mac.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome to the light side of nerdiness! =)
give up, you must not!