Saturday, October 21, 2006

School is a great home for drama queens

So, though I am perhaps not a 'queen', I do find school life to be perfect for the dramatic. Caters well to the ups and downs associated with studying.

I just had my first week of classes and it was met with many different emotional states. For example, the first two days seemed fairly straightforward. I was assessed as not being a 'rookie' to the German language (3 months in Berlin have been good for something!), so I was placed in the 'slightly more advanced' class.























In this class however, I started getting nervous cuz I have been feeling that I'm in the bottom third of the students, and I get angry/frustrated when I can't understand something. Not to be arrogant, but in the past, this has been rare. "What do you mean?? We're supposed to do WORK?? Surely not!"








Behind us is the Brandenburg Gate. "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" -Ronny Reagan














Indeed. I must work this semester. Something crazy I think. I mean, it's Saturday afternoon and I'm studying. Luckily however, one of my programme's lectures/courses was canceled, so I have one less class this semester, and my other class (Simulation and Optimisation of Dynamic Systems... ugh, I think I should be doing something creative/abstract with my life when I sit in this class... leave the nerdy shit to those with no sense of aesthetic I say...) however is going to be quite difficult. I don't have all the textbooks I would like from Canada, and there is a lot I need to review/understand I think. Meh... So I might not even go to this course because really, we're told if anything is hard, only do the German lessons. They are of paramount importance. I'll go to a few more lectures to see if it's crazy, or manageable.

Last week had a boat cruise, a walking tour of Berlin, then later we sat by the Spree river on what was to be one of the last warm (enough) days of the season, and had a few beers. Attached are photos.







I've become buddies with Matan (from Israel) directly to the right of me in this photo, and with William (from France), at the left.

No comments: