Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I love Berlin

I couldn't have imagined just how happy I would be once I decided to rip up my return ticket to Canada in favour of staying here in Berlin. I love it here, love life, and have basically found something I haven't had in a long while - peace and contentment, confidence, and a wonderful sense of self. (Maybe it's because I'm getting old! haha)

We all have just one life to live, if you'll permit me this quick cliche statement. It took me a while to figure it out, but it's great when you finally ignore all the people pulling on your shirt sleeve, trying to get you to do this, or to do that, and just DO what your instincts tell you what you should be doing.

This isn't some massive epiphany. My instincts told me simply I should stay in Berlin and see what happens. Since then I've just come to realize that my life is really great and I'm happy with everyone I know, and (mostly) everything I'm doing. I work in a great place (www.circus-berlin.de) and laugh alot. Opportunities are popping up all the time. I was asked if I'd like to do some sound engineering in a startup recording studio for example. I've got people asking me if I'd like to play in bands with them. I'm getting to try my hands on at a little graphic/poster design. No 'massive' things, but small things when tallied together, amount to a good life of leisure, income, and general movement in a 'forward', non-stagnating direction.

I will concede that where earlier in life I was by all accounts 'ahead of the game', my sidetrack in Vancouver still leaves me thinking, 'well now I'm not exactly where I *might want to be* at 28', but better to be 28 and wiser, than 45 and then just realizing such important steps to happiness. So, being 28 isn't so bad, especially in Europe where you're not peceived as a grandfather to 18-yr olds! hahah I still live like a monk, no matter what y'all think.

No comments: